DIY lash extensions can give you beautiful, voluminous lashes without having to spend a fortune at a salon. But, just like professional extensions, DIY lash extensions require proper aftercare to ensure that they last and look great. In this article, we'll be providing tips and tricks for maintaining your lashes after application.
II. The First 24 Hours
The first 24 hours after application are crucial for the longevity of your DIY lash extensions. It's important to keep them dry during this time, as moisture can affect the bond and cause the extensions to fall off. To avoid getting your lashes wet, it's recommended to:
- Avoid taking showers or washing your face with water
- Use a damp cloth to clean your face instead of splashing water on it
- Stay away from steam, including saunas and steam rooms
III. Cleaning Your Lashes
Keeping your lashes clean is key to maintaining their longevity. It's important to clean your lashes at least once a day, and more often if you wear makeup or sweat frequently. Here's how to properly clean your lashes:
- Use a gentle, oil-free cleanser to clean your lashes and eye area. Avoid using products that contain oil, as this can weaken the bond and cause the extensions to fall off.
- Wet a cotton pad with the cleanser and gently rub it over your lashes and eye area. Be sure to avoid rubbing or pulling on the lashes.
- Rinse your face with water and pat dry with a clean towel. Avoid rubbing your face, as this can cause the lashes to fall off.
IV. Brushing Your Lashes
Brushing your lashes regularly is important to keep them looking neat and prevent tangling. Here's how to properly brush your lashes:
- Use a clean, soft-bristled lash brush to gently comb through your lashes.
- Start at the base of the lashes and work your way up to the tips.
- Be gentle and avoid pulling or tugging on the lashes.
V. Avoiding Certain Products and Activities
There are certain products and activities that you should avoid when you have DIY lash extensions. Here are some to keep in mind:
- Avoid using oil-based products, including makeup and moisturizers, as they can weaken the bond and cause the extensions to fall off.
- Don't use waterproof mascara, as it can be difficult to remove and may damage the extensions.
- Stay away from rubbing your eyes or pulling on the lashes, as this can cause them to fall off.
- Avoid swimming and other water activities, as water can affect the bond and cause the extensions to fall off.
- Don't use an eyelash curler, as it can damage the extensions.
VI. Protecting Your Lashes
Protecting your lashes during sleep is important to ensure they stay in place and don't get tangled. Here are some tips for protecting your lashes:
- Sleep on your back or side to avoid pressing your lashes against the pillow.
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase to reduce friction and avoid tangling.
- Consider using a sleep mask to protect your lashes while you sleep.
VII. When to Remove Your Lashes
Knowing when to remove your DIY lash extensions is important to avoid damage to your natural lashes. Here are some signs that it's time to remove your lashes:
- The extensions are starting to look sparse or are falling off.
- Your natural lashes are becoming tangled or damaged.
- You're experiencing irritation or discomfort in your eyes.
To safely remove your lashes, it's recommended to use a lash extension remover. Follow the instructions carefully and be gentle to avoid pulling out your natural lashes.
Proper aftercare is key to maintaining the longevity and beauty of
your DIY lash extensions. By following the above tips and tricks, you can ensure that your lashes stay healthy, full, and stunning for as long as possible. Remember to be gentle with your lashes, avoid oil-based products, and clean them regularly with a gentle cleanser. Additionally, using a lash serum can help to promote healthy growth and strengthen your natural lashes.
With a little bit of care and attention, you can enjoy your DIY lash extensions for days on end, and feel confident and beautiful in the process. Happy lashing!
I hope you found this helpful!